Sick of pumpkins and kids dressed as witches? Fuck it, so am I.
I've always been a fan of Halloween but I'm a bit sick of all the 'commercial' shit that comes with it. Forced down our throats at every turn, it's made it more pallatable than it should be. I've decided to make my own fun tonight and plan to treat my ears and eyes to the sort of art and that malarky that seem suitably sinister.
WHAT I'VE DONE
Woke up this morning and listened to Future Days by Can. If you've never heard of Can then go and check them out, they're brilliant. It's like all that atmospheric music that idiots listen to 'to chill out' but with Damo Suzuki (the best Can frontman) screaming, whispering and, sometimes, singing tri-lingual glumph, it's just great. Feeling triumphantly sinister I made myself some black coffee and enjoyed my day.
What else? Well, it seems stupid not to read some Kafka. The outright master of implied horror at every turn, unable to run from grotesque forces that maniplate his every move. It's also fucking funny as well. I read somewhere that Kafka used to chuckle away at his stories when reading them outloud to his friend Max Brod and it's quite entertaining to keep this in mind when reading Kafka. The Castle in particular nails the humourous element perfectly. The two assistants, first seen running past K., are insanely funny in my opinion. The contrast of this and the dark, brooding starkness of the rest of the story just adds to the comedy.
If you're one of those people who can listen to music AND read at the same time (something I haven't quite managed) put on Bitches Brew by Miles Davis, some brilliant electric, funk, dark jazz.
The only thing lacking from my night is a good, genuinely scary film. I've got a copy of 'Funny Games' in the cupboard downstairs that I might put on.
There you go then; Can, Miles Davis and, of course, Franz Kafka. The perfect Halloween. If you don't do it today do it some other day and just pretend it's Halloween. Why does it have to be on the 31st anyway?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment